Saturday, May 1, 2010

Holy crap was it windy!

We went riding today to try out the new Bluetooth headsets. After about 120 miles of testing, I would say they performed very well considering the winds were 22 mph gusting up to 30+ and we could still hear each other the majority of the time. They came in handy when I wasn't so comfortable riding on a main highway because I was getting blown all over the place so I told Ed to turn off and we took side roads instead. The only bad thing I have to say about them is that the headphones hurt our ears. The sound was great but the comfort level was less than desirable. I saw on the manufacturer's site that you can order an adapter so you can use your own ear buds. I think we're going to try that.

The GPS is working great now that it has it's own power supply, and that really came in handy when we had to deviate from the route before we had even gone 10 miles. There were a lot of twists & turns and hills all made slightly more exciting by the wind. There were some really nice views at the hilltops, but I wasn't looking around so much, again, because of the wind.

All in all it was a good ride. Got more experience riding in the wind, saw a turkey and had to slow down to avoid being taken out by it since it flew between us and Ed also saw a pheasant but we scared it back into the woods instead of across the road.

We had lunch at The Pioneer Pub in Wild Rose. The restaurant was a pretty neat looking place, very rustic with indoor and outdoor dining options. We ate indoors because I didn't feel like dealing with the wind anymore outside. There were a lot of dead animals and fish up on the walls, and it felt like being at someone's cabin. It was very clean, and there was a bar in the inside dining area as well. There was a nice water view off the deck if you chose to dine outdoors.

Ed had the Ruben, and I had a 1/4 pound cheeseburger & fries. I thought the pricing on the sandwiches was a little high because it was $9 just for the Ruben and no sides. Mine was $6 plus extra to have cheese put on it. I got a soda and Ed got a lemonade, and they charged us for his refill (at $2.50 a piece, you'd think you could get free refills if you're eating there!). I didn't get a refill so I don't know if I would have had to pay for mine or not. My frozen hamburger slab was barely cooked through so it was luke warm in the middle, but the fries were good. Ed said his Ruben was good. All in all, I thought $24 (plus tip) for 2 sandwiches & one order of fries plus non-alcoholic beverages was a bit pricey.

No comments:

Post a Comment